Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Roxy; Quite possibly the best club on the Strip

I was passing out flyers at the Roxy last night, (my night job) and ran into Stephanie, who works the door to "on the Rox" an upstairs lounge above the Roxy. She and I go way back, mainly because my band has played there a number of times: Our CD release party, opening shows and being direct support on many, not to mention all the KROQ Locals Only shows we've been part of. Between that and me passing out flyers there like every other weekend, we've gotten to talk alot and to know each other.







 Stephanie is a sweet heart but DO NOT get on her bad side, especially when she's working, she'll mop the floor with you lol. When i arrived last night the show was in full swing and it was crazy!! Hank Williams III was playing there and it was PACKED! Rockabillies and punkers as far as the eye could see. Stephanie was in action, doing crowd control and keeping the sidewalk clear of smoking and inebriated fans. I took this opportunity to give out some flyers and take photos (to prove I was working). After a moment or two I spotted Nick, the owner of Roxy, keeping watch over the crowd. Now, I had met Nick in passing and had seen him at different events around hollywood as I am constantly doing flyer gigs out there but had never really introduced myself one on one to him. I wasn't sure if he'd remember who i was, or if he'd even have time to speak to me. I took a chance and walked up to him, hand outstretched and said "Hi Nick, my name is Carlos, from Harmful if Swallowed" and without missing a beat, he said "Oh yeah! how you doin?", i said "good" and began to rap with him, man he's just an all around cool cat. I took this opportunity to tell him this: My band has played alot around town in small venues as well as large ones, and one thing has held true, one of the best live sounding places our band has performed at is the Roxy.

 Not only that but EVERYONE there is professional and courteous from the ticket ladies to the security and as if to reinforce this, in the midst of all the craziness, Nick just stood there like a friend I hadn't seen in a while and talked with me. I told him that we had played at a large venue recently and it didn't come close to comparing to the sound and courtesy that we always get there. He seemed to get a kick out of that. but it's true!


The Roxy really seems to care about making sure all the bands that perform there sound good whether they're the headliners or the opening act. They seem to understand that along with the touring acts, alot of bands who play there are local bands that have 9-5 jobs and thus, have reasonable sound check times like 6 or 7pm, unlike other places that expect all bands to be in the club with all their equiptment set up at 2pm! Ummm if you work till 4pm, it's impossible. All in all, I'd say that the Roxy is one of the best places to play on the Sunset Strip, They haven't been legendary for nothing!
Cheers to the Roxy, Cheers to Nick.

No comments: